- 4-5 lb, boneless Pork Shoulder, cut into 2-inch steaks
- 4 Tbsp Brown sugar ( packed )
- 3 Tbsp Bourbon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Bourbon Smoked Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Bourbon Smoked Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 cup Fresh Cranberries (optional)
- 1, 12 oz can of Cranberry juice concentrate
- 2 cup Chopped white onion
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Water as needed
- Bourbon Barrel Foods Apple Butter
- Sweet Rolls, 24 count bag
Add fresh cranberries to the braising liquid. This creates an extra special Holiday touch.
Reserve braising liquid for making beans, a bbq sauce, or as the base for your next chili!
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, incorporate the following ingredients; brown sugar, Bourbon Smoked Paprika, Bourbon Smoked Pepper, Bourbon Smoked Sea Salt, tomato paste and Dijon mustard. Gently combine aromatics with a rubber spatula until it becomes a thick paste. Coat the pork shoulders with the thick paste and gently lay them inside the Instapot or crockpot.
- Braising Liquid:
In the same mixing bowl used to season the pork, mix together the cranberry juice, white onion and apple cider vinegar.
Pour Braising liquid directly from the mixing bowl into the slow cooker. Make sure the pork is completely covered with liquid.
Follow the recommended cooking instructions below.
- Instapot: set cooking time for 70 minutes on High Pressure. When the cooking time ends, turn off the pressure cooker and allow the pressure to release naturally ( about 20-minutes ).
When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
Remove the meat from the pressure cooker and shred with two forks. You can also use a stand mixer to shred the pork.
Cook pork on low heat for 4-5 hours or until tender. Carefully remove
with pork from the braising liquid, and place it into a medium-sized bowl. Shred with two forks.
- APPLE BUTTER PULLED PORK PULL-APART ASSEMBLY:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Carefully cut the sweet rolls in half lengthwise into equal pieces creating a top and a bottom bun. Place the top bun portions to the side.
In an oven-safe dish or sheet tray, lined with parchment paper, mound the pulled pork evenly on the sweet rolls bottom bun slab.
Spread Bourbon Barrel Apple Butter on the top buns.
Place open-faced, bottom buns filled with pork and the Apple Buttered top buns side by side on the sheet tray.
Bake the two pieces for 10-15 minutes.
Place the top buns on the bottom buns and you’ve got an Apple Butter Pork Pull-A-Part crowd pleaser!
Repeat these steps for the second dozen.